Tuesday, January 13, 2009

cough drops

Jen and I have been 'facebooking' (is that a real word?) each other this afternoon about cough drops. We've both been stupid ill again. I bought myself an economy bag of halls, and an economy bag of ricola. I decided to not get the sugar free ones because 'sugar free' is a euphemism for 'really weird crap'.
Jen suggest I get sugar free, I demurred and we did a little back and forth about corn syrup -vs aspartame. Then I decided that what the hell, I don't have enough stuff to do. Jen and I should make our own. I just looked on line (for my preliminary research) and didn't see any inspiring recipes then I remembered this book I have.....

I bought this book for two whole dollars at a flea market in Mechanicsburg PA. Mostly because, well, I did Need To Know.
This book is one of the most amazing how to books I have ever seen. It was published in 1885. And copyrighted 1884 A. I.Burt.
One of the most fabulous things about this book is how it's organized. Everything, from 'Putting Out Fires' to 'Tea Cakes for Children' is listed alphabetically.
So for instance, 'how to make a hammock' is listed right next to 'ham, how to cook'. I am not kidding you.

But I digress.
Here's the recipe in this book for how to make cough drops.
Listed under-

Cough Candy (Medicated) ---To five pounds of candy just ready to pour on the slab, add the following mixture, and form it into sticks. Tincture squills, two ounces; camphorated tincture of opium and tincutre of tolu, of each one-half ounce; wine of ipecac, one-half ounce; oils of gaultheria, four drops; sassafras, three drops; and of anise seed oil, two drops, and use this freely in common coughs.

What do you think?

2 comments:

rv said...

the ipecac? i don't know about that. but opium is excellent for coughing. bad for breathing, though. oops. i'm looking up squills.

linda said...

I'm surprised the cough drop recipe did not call for eye of newt.
It's hilarious (to me) that you found that book in Mechanicsburg!! Was it from the flea market at the car race track, near Super Shoes?
I think you should share more of its wisdom, I feel that there is more that I Should Know.