Monday, October 11, 2010

Sukkot and blue lanyards for peace

GATHERING by Dale Suttle, So Sugita, & Ginna Nguyen
A few weeks ago, I left my place of employment and meandered through Union Square.
There I happened upon a crazy and wonderful scene. At first I thought is was an art exhibit, but dear reader, I was wrong. I forgot it was Sukkot. Yes, it's true. I forgot. It was an exhibition of winning sukkah re-designs.
It was very cool.
As dusk arrived however, things got a little strange. After I got some distinctly non holiday food, I stood across the street from the park and waited for the M14A (or as I like to call it 'the forever worm'). A diverse group of people were trying to get everyone to 'connect for peace for just five minutes' with these bright blue kind of bungee cord things. There were clips involved. I distinctly remember seeing clips. They had microphones. There was world music.
I did not feel up to connecting, in fact no one walking by was really into having a consciousness raising experience with blue clippy things except the schizophrenic (my term, not his) in the rainbow afro wig. But even he got bored and wandered off. So I'm watching and waiting, waiting and watching until I realize I've been waiting over 20 minutes for my bus.
I think to myself, I could have connected for peace four times in a row by now.
Then I think to myself, hey I'm waiting for the bus for peace! I'm holding my bag so no one gets my wallet for peace! I'm going home for peace.
That last one, was definitely true.

No comments: