Saturday, September 27, 2008

what I should be doing

I'm in that special sort of hell reserved for people who don't update their artist's resume's in a timely fashion. All I can say is holy crap. Having said that, I'm pleased to announce I'm in a 3 person show thats opening tonight and I'm doing my due-dill by actually communicating it.


Skinning is a time-specific art exhibition which intends to provide a cathartic calming space within Long Island City. The title refers to the I Ching hexagram of approaching change and revolution, as well as the current still point of the approaching Presidential election and swelling economic, social, and environmental pressures.

Symbolically, Skinning is a shapeshifter -- a bird shedding its feathers -- a ruler can be overcome.

Molt and revolt.

Windows Gallery will be available for you to take time out to relax and meditate upon the liminal state created by the following artists:

Ryan Coleman's paintings blur the line between literal representation and abstraction, flatness and depth, and cerebral and sensual gesture, while exploring subjects and themes which deal with the human condition and experience.

Betsy Heistand's intimate and colorful paintings play with the picture plane, inhabited by fanciful, lamenting biomorphic creatures.

Natalia Pikula's installations incorporate various 2D mediums to build structures. Her prints stride through landscapes and abstractions, as well as danger and liberation.

Dream upon Michael Mahalchick's Silver Pillows: Meditation center meets the Factory.

Curated by Alison Beth Levy


Join us at the Exhibition Opening on Saturday, September 27th 7-10pm

Windows Gallery is located at 13-03a Jackson Avenue, Long Island City, close to PS1 and the Pulaski Bridge on Jackson Ave.
Subway: G to 21st; EV to LIC/Court Square; 7 to 45 road
http://www.windowsgallery.com/location.html

Skinning will be open Saturdays and Sundays 12-6pm through Sunday, October 19th, or by appointment.
For more information, directions, and to make an appointment please call 914.772.3974 or email alison.b.levy@gmail.com


Heads up. I will be 'back blogging' soon. I've been traveling and unraveling a bit too much to blog. Sometimes betsy needs to process. So I'll be talking about Chicago more at a later date. And I'll be talking about All Tomorrows Parties which I attended, and can even remember some of it. Even the bear suit.

No comments: